Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Workbooks, help, and fatigue


I finally received the books I ordered from Amazon.com on Monday. I have been reading, "It Started with Poptarts..." and have been very disappointed. The woman who wrote this pseudo autobiography was bulimic, which turned into alcoholism. I wasn't impressed with her information about recovery and found her irritating. She concentrated more on relationships and her inability to "love herself." She also put a lot of blame on her mother, who "ignored her and controlled her as a child." So I stopped reading the book. I skimmed through the last 1/4 and put it on my shelf. I am now working on the Overcoming Bulimia Workbook. It already is proving to be helpful. For instance, it asked me to draw a pie chart on what I find important in life, and place it into percentages. Possible options included weight, relationships, personality, being a good mother, appearances, meeting expectations, etc... Once I put this into excel, I will post my pie chart. I am happy with this workbook, so far. It may even help me take that huge leap and see a counselor. I know that is what I need to do. Another thing is that habits I have, I didn't realize were "bulimia traits." Like me calculating how many hours I don't eat per day. They say a lot of these habits can serve as a medium into anorexia...

Another update, I did something scary yesterday. J noticed that I have been feeling a little down, and I guess there was some sadness in my voice over the phone yesterday. Well, he asked me if I had any 'skeletons in my closet.' And.... that is when I finally caved in and told him about ED... I have never told someone of the opposite sex about being bulimic, let alone someone I am attracted to. He was quiet for awhile after, so I gave him an out. I told him I understood if he didn't want to deal with it and just wanted hang in the towel, and he practically yelled no that's not what I want. Lol. He said he just wished there was something he could do to help, and let me know that if I needed him, I could count on him. I feel some weight off of my shoulders. Oddly enough, I have told a grand total of 6 people and still feel so alone. There are days where all I want to do is hide from it all, the pressures of school, the feeling of insecurity... the feeling of hopelessness.

1 comment:

  1. Hey,

    I'm glad one of the books is helpful to you! That's great! Who knows, maybe the other book with hold more insight for you at a different point in your journey.

    That was a big step to tell J. I'm glad he reacted like he did. The reactions of the first few people you tell are so important... I've found that a few positive reactions in the beginning make things much easier to talk about as time goes on.

    One foot in front of the other. I know you can get there. One day at a time. Hold on to that phone number you found. Just in case. And call me if you need anything!

    THA

    ReplyDelete